Dealing with Debt Collectors
Debt Collectors: Know Your Rights
Many people who've known debt are also unfortunately familiar with debt collectors. We know how stress-inducing, relentless, and often-times even threatening debt collectors can be from firsthand experience.
It is always a good idea to have legal representation when dealing with debt collectors, especially if you feel that you are possibly being harassed. Call the professionals at Harold Shepley & Associates at 877-827-9006 for a free assessment of your case.
Because you deserve the peace you need to get your finances on track, we've compiled a list of a couple of useful tips when dealing with debt collectors.
How to deal with debt collectors
- Don't ignore them - Often times the calls are so overwhelming that people are tempted to just let them ring. All experts say this only makes it worse. The quicker you begin to deal with them, the quicker you can be done dealing with them.
- Get a lawyer - An experienced attorney like the ones at Harold Shepley & Associates will be well versed with federal guidelines preventing debt collectors from acting in certain unethical ways to obtain their money, like fear tactics or impersonating law enforcement. The collectors have attorneys working for them, you should get one working for you.
- Keep your records - Debt collectors can lose or sometimes never receive proof that you have paid your debts. Always safeguard your important documents such as paid in full notices and receipts of final payment, as well as initial contracts. It's much harder for collectors to get money you don't owe them if you've got proof that you're paid up.
Collectors will sometimes even resort to illegal means to attempt to get money from you. Don't let yourself be intimidated; don't let yourself be bullied - know your rights and don't be afraid to use them.
Fair Debt Collection Practices Act
The Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, or, FDCPA, is a piece of legislature which essentially disallows creditors from harassing you. A few examples of things that are illegal under the FDCPA are:
- Harassment / nuisance phone calls
- Abusive language
- Unjustified repossession claims
We can make the harassment stop and you can rest easy with Harold Shepley & Associates at your side.
Relief is closer than you think!
For more information on debt relief, the other services we offer, or on what sets us apart from your average firm, please - call us today!
3115 N. Front Street
Harrisburg, PA 17110
Debt Relief from Pennsylvania Bankruptcy Attorneys
We serve clients throughout all of Pennsylvania with Bankruptcy, Debt Negotiation, Mortgage Foreclosure Defense, Divorce, and Estate Planning. Though we have two offices, no travel is necessary.
We service Pennsylvania clients from Pittsburgh, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Altoona, Bedford, Blairsville, Connellsville, Cranberry, Ebensburg, Greensburg, Huntingdon, Johnstown, Indiana, Lancaster, Monroeville, New Kensington, State College, Somerset, Uniontown, Washington, Wexford and throughout the state.
This website is intended to provide general information only. The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship.